Palm Beach Athletic Wear has found another great new healthy recipe your family will love. Tested and approved by the owner’s 10 year old son. Since it is really just a side dish, we paired this healthy yet tasty recipe with grilled chicken and it was a HUGE hit.
Quinoa Side Dish with Latin Flavor
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Toast Quinoa in a large dry skillet stirring often for about 5 min then transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly. Then toast pepitas in same dry skillet about 3-5 min.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers stirring often for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add chiles and garlic; cook, stirring for 30 sec.
- Add the Quinoa and broth to the onion, pepper saucepan; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the Quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20-25 minutes.
- Add pepitas, cilantro, scallions, lime juice and salt to the quinoa; mix gently.
Serve alongside grilled chicken, pork or fish.
Servings: 6 @ 2/3 cup each | Time: 45 min.