What is AntiGravity Yoga?
AntiGravity Yoga is a total-body workout created by former gymnast, aerial performer and Broadway choreographer Christopher Harrison. The inspiration behind AntiGravity Yoga comes from a number of techniques that pull together exercises and poses from methods such as calisthenics, yoga, strength training, Pilates, dance and acrobatics all performed with a silk hammock apparatus. Christopher Harrison’s AntiGravity Hammock allows the body to move freely in all directions of open space with proven, step-by-step techniques. The zero-compression inversions allow your spine to lengthen, opening up space in both the body and the mind. The silk hammock provides support allowing the body to safely move into postures with no pressure on the joints.
The benefits of AntiGravity Yoga
In addition to decompressing the spine the benefits of AntiGravity yoga are a big stress reliever. When you turn your body upside-down you send fresh blood to the face it’s anti-aging! If you have ever been on an inversion table you will jump for joy at what the Harrison Hammock does for the body. AntiGravity allows sufferers of back and neck issues to find immediate relief. Practitioners of AntiGravity every will find that the body feels instantly better after just one session. Along with improved flexibility and strength in the entire body especially the core, you will find that you gain a deeper awareness of the body. Kristen Lemoine describes it as ‘not just a workout but more of an experience and a deepening of the mind-body-spirit.’
Benefits you Will Experience with AntiGravity
When practicing AntiGravity you will experience the following benefits:
Increased muscular flexibility.
- Muscular tension release through self-massage techniques.
- Core strengthening.
- Upper and lower body muscular strengthening.
- Increased kinesthetic awareness; fine-tuning balance and increasing proprioceptor (sensory receptor) response for greater agility.
- Increased joint mobility.
- Low-impact cardiovascular conditioning.
Self-esteem enhancement through process of conquering basic fears.
- More astute presence through mindful consciousness conditioning.
- Increased command/response acuity.
- Learning of new skills: a creative and artistic fitness experience.
- Uniquely fun experience that works risible muscles as well as function-able muscles.
- Decompression and hydration of the vertebral discs within the spinal column, which also allow space for nerves within the spinal cord.Re-aligning of the spine.
- Refreshes the endocrine, lymphatic, digestive, and circulatory systems.
- Releases “happy hormones: i.e.: serotonin, endorphins, endophalins, endocaniboids and dopamine.
- Increases neuroplasticity of the brain (one’s ability to learn) by creating new synaptic connections and neural pathways.
- Increased proprioceptive response and kinesthetic awareness.
- Glowing skin: by providing fresh blood to capillaries in the face, inversions enhance one’s complexion.
It’s not Just for Yogis
AntiGravity is for everyone in every age bracket. Our clients range from the ages of 9 years old to well into their 70’s. Gravity and Antigravity are actually complimentary opposites, both required in order to move. We can’t fight gravity but we can have fun playing within the forces to obtain better overall health and
Moving Freely in Open Space
As Christopher Harrison explains it. “The body and the mind are interconnected. The mind always knows what the body is doing just as every action of the body influences thought. Christopher Harrison has created with AntiGravity an accessible methodology for moving the body in all directions of open space freely including upside down, which in turn frees the mind. In AntiGravity everyone is capable, and it happens within the context of fitness.”
Dive-in and experience the DREAM OF FLIGHT in one of Palm Beach Athletic Wear & Yoga Studio’s AntiGravity Classes. Christopher Harrison’s personal guarantee is this: If you can “suspend your disbelief I guarantee that I can make you healthier, happier and taller, in just one session.”
What are you waiting for? Book your first AntiGravity session now in one of our group classes or schedule your own private session today!